Phoenix Christian School K-8 | Academics
Because "the earth is the Lord's", we believe that all creation and society is under His direction and control. Everything is studied in the light of Christ's love. We develop a Biblical perspective of who our students are in relation to the whole of God's creation, and what His purpose is for each student's life. We emphasize the importance of family, respect and love for others, faith in Jesus Christ, prayer, study of God's word, worship, and living a life glorifying to God.
All Phoenix Christian School PreK-8 students receive a carefully defined educational program emphasizing basic skills and a full range of creative activities. Our students are provided with many opportunities for mental, spiritual, physical and emotional growth in a caring atmosphere.
We work to ensure that students are successful now, ready for the next grade, and prepared for the move into high school.
- Our ITBS composite test scores exceed grade levels. (click here for ITBS results)
- Over 50% of our students have graduated with high school honors.
- We maintain an 18:1 or lower student/teacher ratio.
- We offer accelerated math and reading tracks.
- Scripture is at the heart of every lesson in every grade level.
- The entire chronological sequence of the Bible is repeated four times during grades K-8.
- The curriculum is designed to foster growth in students that equips them to love God, others and themselves.
- Students are urged to accept God's call to repentance, faith and service.
- Our daily Bible classes follow the Bible curriculum from Christian Schools International.
- Each class has daily prayer and devotions in the classroom.
- Twice monthly, all school (PreK-8) chapels are scheduled. Chapels are conducted by teachers, students, and guests.
- Our school uses the Zaner-Bloser Handwriting program to teach both appropriate manuscript and cursive handwriting skills.
- Grades 1-6 have specific handwriting workbooks for students and grades 7-8 continue to emphasize proper handwriting.
- The curriculum encompasses the reading and literature programs, writing skills, grammar studies, as well as spelling and language usage.
- Library skills are taught in all grades.
- The upper level classes study speech and drama.
- PCS K-8 uses the Houghton Mifflin English and Reading series to implement the program.
- The math curriculum builds each year in the areas of numbers and operations, algebra, geometry, measurement, data analysis and probability, problem solving and reasoning.
- K - 6th grades use the Houghton Mifflin series. Starting in grade seven, the McDougal Littell curriculum is used.
- Phoenix Christian School PreK-8 feels strongly that all students must have a firm foundation in phonics training.
- Starting in Kindergarten, our students receive phonics instruction to encourage reading success.
- We strive to develop within each child a deep reverence for the almighty power and infinite wisdom of God. This helps the student understand the order and precision of the physical world.
- We teach students that God created the natural world. The world operates in His continual providence, and He reveals Himself in this natural world.
- We use the CSI Science and Health Curriculum in grades K-6 and the A Beka science program in grades 7-8.
- The course of study used at Phoenix Christian School K-8 is designed to help the students become geographically aware, historically literate, and politically astute.
- Various textbooks and trade books are incorporated into our course of study to assure a thorough coverage of all of the essential elements of social studies, particularly geography, history, and civic responsibility.
- PCS K-8 also participates in the Kids Voting program (K-8) which enhances students' knowledge of our governmental system and the election process.
- Media Center (library and technology)
- Physical Education
- Student Council
More information about our co-curricular classes can be found here.(Click here for co-curricular page)
PCS K-8 offers the following extra-curricular activities:
- Academic Contests
- National Junior Honor Society (NJHS)
More information about our extra-curricular activities can be found here. (Click here for extra-curricular page)